Joint Stock Company Gazprom Space Systems – a daughter company of Gazprom, carries out space activities in the development and operation of telecommunication and geo-information systems for the companies of Gazprom Group and other customers.
Gazprom Space Systems has created, and now operates and develops Yamal satellite communication and broadcasting system as well as designs aerospace monitoring system SMOTR, provides telecommunication and geo-information services.
The Main Design Bureau of Gazprom Space Systems develops and creates Yamal satellite communication and broadcasting system and SMOTR, including system engineering of space complexes, creation of satellite payloads, construction of ground control facilities, teleports and satellite communication and television networks, aerospace monitoring facilities.
Operational and commercial departments of Gazprom Space Systems provide operation of Yamal satellites orbital constellation, teleports, satellite communication networks of Gazprom, satellite TV broadcasting system and aerospace monitoring center, as well as realization in the market of telecommunication and geo-information services.
Yamal satellite communication and broadcasting system includes:
- orbital satellite constellation: Yamal-202 (49°E), Yamal-300K (90°E), Yamal-402 (55°E), Yamal-401 (90°E) and ground control complex;
- telecommunication center and ground infrastructure consisting of more than 400 satellite communication earth stations, operating in the interests of Gazprom Group, built on the sites of production, transportation, processing, storage, and sales of gas.
- satellite digital TV center that provides TV and radio broadcasting via Yamal satellites.
Gazprom is the primary consumer of Yamal services. Among the customers of Gazprom Space Systems are governmental institutions, broadcasting companies, Russian and international commercial service providers.
Gazprom Space Systems is one of the two Russian national satellite operators and one of about 40 satellite operators in the world.
The company has a long-term development program until 2020, approved by the Board of Directors of Gazprom Space Systems on December 25, 2013. The program includes:
- advance of Yamal satellite communication system;
- development of aerospace monitoring system SMOTR;
- construction of the satellite AIT Facility.