SMPTE has announced that the Society has elected its new officers and governors for the 2018-2019 term.
SMPTE President Matthew Goldman commented on how this year's elections, "bring to SMPTE a powerful blend of experience, leadership, and innovation in driving our industry forward. New and returning officers and governors representing the businesses and institutions will play an instrumental role in maintaining the growing momentum of the Society's standards, education, and membership initiatives."
Nine governors were elected to serve in posts throughout the world, and two of these were elected as incumbents. The re-elected governors include Paul Briscoe, who will again serve as the Canada Region Governor; and Siegfried Fössel, who will continue as the EMEA, Central, and South America Region Governor.
Officers and governors elected for the 2018-2019 term will serve on the SMPTE Board of Governors along with other board officers and regional governors. Directors of specific areas — standards, education, and membership — serve in an advisory role to the board, and they will be appointed in January 2018 to one-year terms. At that time, the SMPTE Board of Governors will also appoint a new secretary/treasurer.
Officers who were not up for re-election and who will continue to serve on the SMPTE Board of Governors include Matthew Goldman, Robert P. Seidel, Patrick Griffis and Richard Welsh.
Governors who will continue to serve on the SMPTE Board of Governors through their 2017-2018 terms include François Abbe, Brian Claypool, Christopher Fetner, George Hoover, Michael Koetter, Gary Mandle, Andrew G. Setos, Douglas I. Sheer, and Masayuki Sugawara.
Other new officers and governors include:
- Peter Wharton, who will become the Society's Membership Vice President.
- Bruce Devlin, who will become the Standards Vice President.
- Hans Hoffmann, who has served previously on the SMPTE Board as Standards Vice President and is currently an Education Director, will now become SMPTE's new Finance Vice President.
- Rick Ackermans, will return from a hiatus to serve as Southern Region Governor.
- Sara J. Kudrle, a current SMPTE Education Director, will serve in the role of New York Region Governor, having served previously as a Governor of the Western Region.
- Ward Hansford, will serve as Asia-Pacific Region Governor.
- Renard T. Jenkins, will serve as Eastern Region Governor.
- Paul Chapman, will serve as Hollywood Region Governor.
- Ben Waggoner, will serve as Western Region Governor.
- Mark Harrison, will take on the role of UK Region Governor.
You might also like...
From theory to implementation, this second year of the IP Showcase and Theater at IBC2018 is should be on everyone’s schedule.
Android TV is finally being adopted on a large scale by pay TV operators three years after its launch and seven years on from the original unveiling of its predecessor Google TV. One casualty could be the RDK (Reference Design…
Whether the exhibits and technology would represent more hype than promise was a key question going into NAB 2018. Attendees expected developments on ATSC 3.0 and the industry’s migration toward IP infrastructures. Perhaps most surprising was the high level of interest i…
Following numerous private conversations and panel discussions at the recent 2018 NAB Show, it’s become clear that broadcasters are being challenged like never before to hold the line on CapEx spending while delivering more content across their linear platforms. Because o…
Consumers in the digital age are quick to adapt new media consumption habits as new media and methods of accessing it and interacting with it evolve. Every media technology must innovate and compete or become obsolete. For broadcast television, this…